Preparing For Your 2017 Tax Meeting

Let’s face it, getting your taxes done is not something most people look forward to. It can be a frustrating process of gathering tax forms, information, receipts and might seem overwhelming at times. However, getting yourself organized can remove a lot of the stress associated with tax time. Some of our clients might find our tax organizer helpful, while others might download or scan all of their tax forms and securely upload these documents to us via ShareFile. Whatever way works best for you, please get yourself organized prior to your tax appointment. Below are some important documents and information you should bring with you to your appointment:


Personal Information
If you are already a tax client of Global Tax & Accounting, we will likely have this information from prior year filings, but we will review and confirm that nothing has changed.  If you’ve recently moved or have a new addition to your family, please remember to bring with you all the information below:

  • Tax payer number:  Social Security Card (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Home Address & County
  • Dependent Information (Full Legal Name, Date of birth, Social Security Number)


Income Documents 
Most taxable income will be summarized in standard IRS forms sent to you by payers – W-2 forms for salaries, wages, bonuses, and tips; 1099 forms for self-employment, independent contracting, and most investment and interest income; and K-1 forms relating to ownership (S-corporations, partnerships, LLC’s, and trust/estate incomes).

Here is a partial list of the types of income you need to report. Bring along an income statement, pay stub, receipt, or other proof of income for each source:

  • Income from an employer (W2)
  • Self-employment income (1099)
  • Retirement income from an IRA, pension or annuity (1099-R)
  • Social Security benefits (SSA-1099)
  • Investment income from sale of stock, interest, dividends, etc. (1099-INT)
  • Foreign earned income
  • Rental income
  • Unemployment benefits
  • Gambling earnings
  • Alimony
  • State tax refunds
  • Royalties

We understand that you might be waiting on a few documents (revised 1099’s or K-1’s) when you come in for your tax meeting.  We will make a note of the pending documents and get all of the other information inputted, so we will be ready to file your return when we receive the last set of documents.


Expenses such as mortgage interest, larger charitable contributions, and student loan interest will be documented on a 1098 form. Many other potential deductions such as medical expenses, property taxes, moving expenses and childcare/daycare costs require verification through receipts, cancelled checks, statements, or spreadsheets.

Here’s a partial list of all the expenses that qualify for itemized deductions. You will need receipts or other proof to claim each deduction:

  • Self-employment expenses (home office, gas mileage, equipment, etc.)
  • Business expenses (travel, gas mileage, client meals, etc.)
  • Education expenses (that directly relate to your job or field)
  • Medical expenses
  • Charitable contributions (cash and non-cash)
  • Mortgage interest
  • IRA contributions
  • State, local and foreign taxes (income tax, real estate tax, property tax, sales tax and qualified vehicle taxes)
  • Union dues
  • Job-hunting expenses
  • Tax preparation fees from previous year


Refund & Payment Information
Once your tax return is filed, you can monitor the progress of your federal tax refund by going to the IRS website or your California state tax refund by going to the Franchise Tax Board website.

This is the first year where Global Tax & Accounting will not file your return until we receive payment for our tax preparation services.  Please bring in with you a method of payment (Cash, Check or Credit Card) to your tax meeting in order to not hold up the filing of your return.

If you have any questions or would like to schedule a tax preparation meeting, please feel free to reach out to us via email at or call us at 661-286-0044.